Thursday, October 23, 2008

Why Are The Funny Ones Gay and Living in Paris and Too Old For Me?

wenn5200633.jpg

“I look at these people and can't quite believe that they exist. Are they professional actors? I wonder. Or are they simply laymen who want a lot of attention? To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. "Can I interest you in the chicken?" she asks. "Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it? To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked."

- Author David Sedaris, on undecided voters

Man, I've loved Mr. Sedaris for a long time. Thanks to my brother, I give credit where it's due, who introduced me to Sedaris via Naked and I've read all of his books since. I'm currently making Tim listen to Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy via Audio Book the last few weekends while he works on Ben's costume and I attempt making more pants for Nate. Sedaris is damned funny, it's that simple. I could write pages but I'd just be repeating myself over and over and over. If you've never read his stuff go get something, anything of his now. If you can, get a copy of "Dress" or "Live at Carnegie Hall" and listen to the "Six to Eight Black Men" story. Kills me everytime and has forever changed our yuletide celebrations. Or watch this

No comments: