With all three kids in school now I have time for myself on a regular basis for the first time in almost twelve years. That's a big deal. It's also a tremendous opportunity. It's a welcome chance to get back to doing things that I really enjoy, things that bring me happiness and also remind me of who I was before I had kids, and who I'd like to be. Of course being a mother is a large piece of my identity, and I feel very, very blessed to be the mom to my three kiddos. But, I'm also my own person and it's important to me that the kids know that, and they are able to see me as more than just the lady that takes care of them, but also as a complete person. Being a complete person includes all of the good and bad, the pitfalls of life, the elation of successes and everything in between. After all, I want them to grow up to be happy, well-adjusted, adults and as their parent, I'm their primary example of what an adult is.
Then along comes this writing exercise, perfectly timed to get me reacquainted with myself and share my interests, my humor, my embarrassments, my whole person with my kids. And I'm letting readers in on the fun in the hopes that it'll prompt you to do the same sharing with your family. You can share anything that you think is relevant. You could make the entire list about your experiences in school, as a kid, thirty things you did/do well, thirty things that were hard for you, thirty things you want to do...the possibilities are pretty endless.
1. When I was a teenager I wanted to live in California when I was an adult.
2. I'm scared of porcelain dolls.
3. I had an imaginary friend until I was eight.
4. I really like White Pizza.
5. I used to have long hair.
6. I played Tennis in high school.
7. When I was nine I slammed my thumb in a sliding cooler door at a store and screamed so loud the whole store heard me. It was embarrassing, and painful.
8. I'm good at catching frogs.
9. I wanted to be a marine biologist until I was 15.
10. I wanted to become a creative writer.
11. I wanted a younger brother or sister for a long time.
12. I like physical comedy.
13. I have trouble whistling.
14. I've never knit anything for myself.
15. I could not understand high school chemistry (or any chemistry).
16. My first dog was named Reddy.
17. I've been deep sea fishing.
18. I love my name.
19. I'd like to go to a Yoga retreat.
20. Burritos are my favorite food.
21. I'd like to go camping in Acadia National Park (with my family)
22. I wish that every day, everyone had to stop what they were doing and read for an hour.
23. I used to smoke (YUCK!)
24. I never thought I'd own my own house.
25. I used to do a lot of work with my hometown theater, including stage managing and directing.
26. I stink at acting.
27. I would like to learn how to play an instrument.
28. I'd like to spend a whole day at the Boston Public Library.
29. I think being a Librarian would be my dream job.
30. My favorite number is 12.