Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Saucy



We found apples! Hurrah, hurrah! I forgot to bring my camera along when we went picking though, so sadly there are no apple picking pics this year. It's sad to say 'this year' too because I like to go at least twice but there just aren't enough apples to be found this fall. Hopefully next year will be a better year for the trees. The apples we did find were lovely and delicious!

We used a few for an apple pie, because really, how do you NOT have apple pie in October? The rest, a whole 1/2 bushel of drops, was cooked down into applesauce and canned. This was my first attempt at canning anything ever. I was a little intimidated by it at first, even though I saw my mom can all sorts of jams and chutney as a kid, it's different when you're doing it yourself.

The applesauce seemed to turn out just fine though! The half bushel only made up 3 quarts of sauce, so next year I'll know to get at least a full bushel if not two. I canned the 3 quarts and put them up, but I couldn't wait long to open one. We each had some with dinner last night and I am very confident that it was a hit. I would have taken pictures of the boys enjoying theirs as well, but they devoured it so quickly there was no time to get proof.



No comments: