It comes down to a pros and cons list for each and I can't see a clear winner. So I've done the most logical thing and turned to the internet for help. That's where you, my readers, come in. I present the following for your consideration. I cannot figure out how to put a poll in here at the moment, so if you'd like to vote please leave a comment here or on FB. There are three categories:
3) Write About Something Else, This Is BORING!
(If you choose this option please leave a topic that you'd like me to write about. Like Feeding Three Ridiculously Hungry Children Multiple Times A Day, or Internet Anonymity and Its Effect on our Social Construct, or How To Knit Something Awesome!)
Circa 2010 - My first true Pixie Cut Tonight - Wavy Bob in bad lighting
- I've been growing it out since August of '11. That's a long time in the universe of "My Hair". I've had a few trims but haven't taken any major length off until last week when I chopped off an inch. That said, it was just down to my the very tops of my shoulders. My hair grows very, very slowly.
- The waves. I have NO idea where these waves came from but I'm in love with them. My hair is kind of fun now. It doesn't just lay there, it's not limp and straight but has a little volume.
- I've worked hard for this, did I mention that? Read - I've resisted the temptation to cut for two years! I haven't really had to do any work but I've had to fight the urge to pick up the scissors. It's a big temptation.
- I can DO more with long hair. The thing is, I don't really go anywhere or do anything that requires me to do stuff with my hair. More to the point, I don't have the time or patience to do stuff to my hair. I hate blow drying, it doesn't hold a curl with a curling iron, it's very fine so braids rarely stay in place. I end up wearing it in a ponytail about 99% of the time. The ponytail also causes a lot of damage to my hair. Lots of broken hair, lots of damage that makes it look tired and unloved.
- It's fun. That's really all there is to it. It's fun and I like having a "style" once I get out of the shower that doesn't involve a lot of work.
- Catch - Maintenance. The nice thing about having hair that takes forever to grow out is that I don't have to get it trimmed quite as often. But it still has to be done, and that's money and time. Two things many of us are in short supply of.
- Haircut Hunting - Thanks to the beauty that is Pinterest I've created an entire board dedicated to solving this dilemma. I'm not sure how productive this is, but it is a lot fun, which is good enough for me.
- Badass. I've always seen women who rock a short do as total badasses. A short hair cut takes some courage. There's an element of confidence that is just inherent in wearing your hair short and I covet that.