Monday, August 9, 2010

Loved



It seems to be a bit of a rough year for us unfortunately. I'm trying to stay hopeful though. As sad as I am, I'm trying to be mindful of the cyclical nature of life - remembering that death is a part of life. Its timing is not always so easy on us, and there have been many days when I have caught myself wondering why we've lost so many people in our family this year. But that wondering does not rewind time and I have to remember to enjoy who and what is in my life now.


My grandmother passed away last Saturday. She was 90 years old, and had lived an incredible life. She defied the odds from the beginning, being born at 2lbs in a time without NICUs and modern science to help support life at such a fragile interval. The doctor who delivered her didn't even write up a birth certificate for her, assuming that she wouldn't make it to the next day. She made it, and then some! She went on to live through the Great Depression, marry my grandfather, to raise two children, to own a successful business, survive breast cancer, volunteer with local community groups and be a truly loving, positive presence in many lives.

My cousin summed it up surprisingly well a few days ago, by simply saying, "Everyone loved you more than you could know!" I hope she did know.

1 comment:

the good life mama said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry. Best wishes and happy memories-- Heather