Monday, June 10, 2013

Prompt

I've broken down and am not ashamed to admit it.  I'm using writing prompts.  I've been feeling the urge to write again for a few months now, but haven't made myself sit down and do it.  So much of it was due to fear that I had nothing to say, nothing of interest or merit, or worst of all...nothing.  Just plain old nothing. I find it's pretty easy to think I have nothing to say.  Then I spend time with friends, or get the chance to sit with Tim without kids around and I can't shut up.  So clearly, there's just some self-censoring going on and nothing more. To overcome this I will now attempt to write everyday for the next week without concern that what I have to say isn't funny, intelligent, interesting, inspiring or good enough.  You've been warned, there might be a lot of crappy blog posts coming at you.  But hey, that's your judgement, not mine. My judgement has laryngitis.

Now, my list of writing prompts.  I'm not sure which prompts I will use yet, but, hey I've got to start somewhere and it's amazing what inspiration you can find via the internet.  Utilize the tools around you!
  1. Write about something you’re afraid of – explain why you’re afraid. - Puppets/Porcelain dolls. Don't trust anything that can't move its eyes and is still always looking RIGHTATYOU.
  2. Explain how to do something in five steps.
    - How to put my kids to bed, but that's way more than 5
  3. How does music sound to you?
    - Um, freaking incredible!  How does it sound to you? Should we call your doctor? I'm kind of worried that you have to ask this. What are you listening to?
  4. What do you want to accomplish before you die?
    - Oh yeah, the ever popular "trick" prompt question that sends the writer into an existential rant that starts strong and hopeful, then slowly declines into a reflection of past failures, unfinished projects and results in the writer weeping at her monitor.  I'm going to step slowly around this one. No sudden movements!
  5. Tell someone from the early 1900′s about the Internet. Or TV. Or better yet, YOUR CELL PHONE. AKA answer the kids questions when they hear Tim and I talking about our childhoods.
  6. What is the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you?
    - The MOST?  I think there is more than one. I've gone through pregnancy and given birth three times, I could write a book right there. The response to this question would be a series on the blog, organized by Genres/Age/Level of humiliation
  7. If you had to be an animal for a day, what would it be? Tell about your day.
    - Honey Badger. Ate whatever I wanted, scared off jungle animals, beat death.I don't give a shit.
  8.  What is the oldest piece of clothing in your closet that you still wear?
     - The best T shirt ever, thanks to my brother!
  9. Pick a controversial issue you are passionate about – and then argue the opposite stance
     - I'm picking a fight with myself! I'm going to win!!!
  10. A genie grants you three writing-related wishes. What are they?
     - A laptop, endless talent, and the ability to function well without needing sleep. Ever.


















No comments: