Sunday, April 4, 2010

For Ruth



Sadly, we lost Tim's mother two weeks ago to her battle with Alzheimer's. It was a very sudden loss, though she had been fighting the disease for many year, we were still shocked to lose her.

I know we're thankful that she's not having to suffer with the disease that stole so much of who she was far too soon, but at the same time, it's hard to be on the other side wishing we could have had so many more years with her in good health. You can't always have things the way you want, clearly life teaches us that from early on, but the injustice in losing someone who was so kind and wanted so badly to be a grandmother and enjoy watching her own kids become parents - it's frustrating to say the least. I'm very thankful for having known her and for being able to become a part of the wonderful family that she raised and loved.


I should have written this two weeks ago, but I kept waiting to find the right words. I was hoping they'd just come to me, but I don't think they will. I don't think there are ever are the right words, the perfect words to sum up the essence of a person and to describe the void and change in living life after losing a parent. Death is complicated for those of us who are still alive.




(Ruth was an avid hiker, and one of the most memorable things about her was her passion for getting out there in the woods and reaching the summit. This is Mt. Chocorua, which Tim remembers as the first mountain he climbed with her.)

3 comments:

Hilaree said...

Hi sweet dear,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I understand how difficult it is to describe our feelings about death, and wrapping our minds around it is just so impossible sometimes.

Love and peace to you and your family while you go through this time of deep grieving.

Hugs,
Hilaree

the good life mama said...

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear of your family's loss. Blessing to you all during this time-- Heather

Unknown said...

Thank you both so much for thinking of us. It certainly helps a lot to have friends like you during the good and the not so good times in life.
Lots of love!